If you click on this link, thank you for contributing to us. We may earn a commission when you buy through our links. Learn more ›
Immerse in reading with the All-new Kindle Paperwhite and enjoy 3 free months of Kindle Unlimited. Discover the best sellers in Audible Books & Originals through Audible. $0.00 - Get 30 Days Free and $14.95/month after 30 days. .
“The Energy Bus: 10 Rules to Fuel Your Life, Work, and Team with Positive Energy” by Jon Gordon is a motivational book encouraging readers to adopt a positive mindset and enthusiastically approach life’s challenges. It offers practical advice to boost positivity in your life and work. Reading it will help you cultivate a more positive and energized outlook.
- Genres: Self-Help, Leadership, Positive Psychology
- Themes: Positive Energy, Leadership, Personal Growth, Teamwork, Attitude
What is this book about?
“The Energy Bus: 10 Rules to Fuel Your Life, Work, and Team with Positive Energy” by Jon Gordon is a motivational and transformative self-help book that focuses on the power of positivity and its impact on individuals, their work, and their teams. This book falls within the genre of self-improvement and leadership. It is designed to inspire readers to embrace a more positive mindset and approach to life and work.
The book’s central theme centers around positive energy that drives personal and professional success. Gordon introduces us to the character of George, who faces a series of challenges and setbacks in his personal and professional life. George’s life takes a significant turn when he encounters a charismatic bus driver named Joy, who becomes his guide on a journey of personal transformation.
Joy’s “Energy Bus” is a metaphor for life itself, and she imparts ten fundamental rules for fueling one’s life, work, and relationships with positive energy. These rules include:
- “You’re the Driver of Your Bus”
- “Fuel Your Ride with Positive Energy”
- “Invite People on Your Bus and Share Your Vision”
- “Enjoy the Ride and Have Fun.”
Each rule is accompanied by real-life examples and practical advice for implementing positive changes in one’s life.
Throughout the book, Gordon emphasizes the importance of taking control of one’s own life and attitude. He encourages readers to proactively cultivate positivity, set clear goals, and build strong relationships. He addresses common challenges such as dealing with negativity, facing adversity, and maintaining enthusiasm in facing obstacles.
“The Energy Bus” also highlights the significance of leadership in fostering a positive work environment and team dynamics. Gordon underscores the role of leaders in setting the tone, inspiring their teams, and creating a culture of collaboration and positivity. He guides how leaders can lead by example and create an atmosphere where employees feel valued and motivated.
The book is motivational and highly practical, offering a “10-Day Energy Plan” to help readers implement the principles. It provides exercises, journaling prompts, and actionable steps to incorporate positive energy practices into daily life and work.
Takeaways and tips
Takeaways and tips from “The Energy Bus: 10 Rules to Fuel Your Life, Work, and Team with Positive Energy” by Jon Gordon:
- Your energy is contagious. The energy you bring to your life, work, and relationships has a ripple effect on the people around you. If you’re positive and enthusiastic, you’ll inspire others to be the same. But if you’re negative and draining, you’ll bring everyone else down.
- You have a choice. Choose to be on the Energy Bus. Choose to be positive and enthusiastic. Choose to focus on the good things in your life.
- The 10 Rules of the Energy Bus:
- Be on time, every time. Being on time is an indication of showing respect and being dependable. It also shows that you value your time and the time of others.
- Choose your attitude. You can’t control what happens to you but you can control how you react. Opt for maintaining a positive mindset, even during challenging times.
- Give positive energy. Be generous with your praise and encouragement. Look for the good in others and compliment them on it.
- Have fun and enjoy the ride. Life is too short to be serious all the time. Find ways to make work and play enjoyable.
- Dream big. Don’t limit yourself. What are your wildest dreams? Go after them with all your heart.
- Fuel your passion. What are you passionate about? Find ways to incorporate your passions into your work and your life.
- Be grateful. Take the time to appreciate the good things in your life, big or small. Gratitude is a powerful energy booster.
- Serve others. One of the best ways to feel good about yourself is to help others. Find ways to give back to your community and make a difference.
- Surround yourself with positive people. The people you spend time with have a significant impact on your energy. Choose to surround yourself with positive people who lift you up and support you.
- Celebrate your victories. Take the time to celebrate your accomplishments, no matter how small they may seem. Celebrating your successes helps you to stay motivated and keep moving forward.
Here are some additional tips for cultivating positive energy in your life:
- Practice mindfulness. Mindfulness means being fully present in the moment and not judging it in any way. When you’re mindful, you’re more aware of your thoughts, feelings, and bodily sensations. This aids in recognizing and questioning negative thoughts while shifting attention towards positive ones.
- Meditate. Meditation is an effective method to decrease stress and foster positive vibes. There are many different types of meditation, so find one that works for you and stick with it.
- Get enough sleep. When well-rested, you’re better able to cope with stress and challenges. Aim for 7-8 hours of sleep per night.
- Eat a healthy diet. Consuming healthy foods provides the necessary energy for optimal bodily function. Avoid processed foods, sugary drinks, and excessive caffeine and alcohol.
- Exercise regularly. Exercise can effectively decrease stress, enhance mood, and increase energy levels. Individuals should strive to engage in moderate-intensity physical exercise for at least 30 minutes most days of the week.
“The Energy Bus” is recommended for those who want to develop a positive mindset, enhance their leadership abilities, and establish a more positive and efficient workplace. It is suitable for readers of all backgrounds, whether you’re a leader looking to inspire your team, an individual striving for personal growth, or someone facing challenges and setbacks in life and work. Jon Gordon’s engaging storytelling, practical advice, and actionable strategies make this book a valuable resource for anyone who wants to infuse their life and work with positive energy, enthusiasm, and resilience. If you’re ready to embark on a journey of personal and professional transformation, this book provides the roadmap and inspiration to get you started.
Best-recommended books besides “The Energy Bus”
If you’ve enjoyed reading “The Energy Bus: 10 Rules to Fuel Your Life, Work, and Team with Positive Energy” and are looking for similar books that offer insights and strategies for cultivating positivity and success, here are some recommended alternatives:
“The Power of Positive Thinking” by Norman Vincent Peale
Norman Vincent Peale’s classic work, “The Power of Positive Thinking,” explores the transformative effects of maintaining a positive mindset. The book provides practical advice and techniques to overcome self-doubt, reduce stress, and achieve success by focusing on positive thoughts and beliefs. It emphasizes the role of faith and optimism in personal and professional growth.
Why we love it:
- Discover the timeless wisdom of maintaining a positive mindset.
- Learn practical techniques to overcome self-limiting beliefs and achieve success.
- Gain insights into the importance of faith and optimism in personal growth.
“The Happiness Advantage” by Shawn Achor
In “The Happiness Advantage,” Shawn Achor explores the connection between happiness and success. He presents scientific research demonstrating that a positive mindset can enhance productivity, creativity, and well-being. The book offers actionable strategies for increasing happiness and achieving better results in both personal and professional life.
Why we love it:
- Understand the science behind the connection between happiness and success.
- Learn practical strategies to boost happiness and enhance productivity.
- Gain insights into how positivity can lead to better outcomes in work and life.
“Mindset” by Carol S. Dweck
Carol S. Dweck’s “Mindset” explores the concept of a growth mindset versus a fixed mindset. She argues that individuals who believe in their ability to grow and develop through effort are likelier to succeed. Dweck presents research and practical guidance on cultivating a growth mindset in various areas of life, including education, relationships, and careers.
Why we love it:
- Recognize the significance of adopting a growth mindset for achieving personal and professional success.
- Acquire strategies to transition from a fixed mindset to a growth mindset.
- Gain practical strategies to foster resilience, motivation, and learning.
“Drive” by Daniel H. Pink
In “Drive,” Daniel H. Pink explores the science of motivation and what truly drives human behavior. He introduces the concepts of autonomy, mastery, and purpose as key factors in motivating individuals. The book challenges conventional notions of motivation and offers insights into creating a more engaging and fulfilling work and life.
Why we love it:
- Learn more about what drives people at work and in life in general.
- Learn how autonomy, mastery, and purpose drive personal and professional success.
- Discover practical strategies to enhance motivation and satisfaction.
“The Positive Dog” by Jon Gordon
“The Positive Dog” is another book by Jon Gordon, this time presented as a story. It follows the journey of a character named Matt, who learns about the power of positivity through the guidance of his dog, Bubba. The book offers simple yet profound lessons on how to adopt a positive attitude, overcome negativity, and live a more fulfilling life.
Why we love it:
- Enjoy an engaging and inspirational story about the power of positivity.
- Learn practical lessons on how to cultivate a positive mindset.
- Gain insights into the transformative effects of positivity on personal and professional life.
“Positivity” by Barbara L. Fredrickson
Barbara L. Fredrickson, a leading researcher in positive psychology, explores the “positivity ratio” in this book. She presents scientific evidence that suggests a ratio of at least three positive emotions to every negative one is a key factor in flourishing and well-being. Fredrickson provides practical exercises to increase positivity and enhance one’s emotional resilience.
Why we love it:
- Explore the research behind the importance of maintaining a positive emotion ratio.
- Learn practical exercises to increase positivity and emotional well-being.
- Gain insights into the role of positivity in personal growth and resilience.
“The Happiness Hypothesis” by Jonathan Haidt
Jonathan Haidt draws from ancient wisdom and contemporary research in “The Happiness Hypothesis” to explore the sources of human happiness. He examines common philosophical and religious teachings and relates them to modern psychological science. The book offers practical insights and exercises to enhance happiness and well-being.
Why we love it:
- Delve into the intersection of ancient wisdom and modern science in pursuing happiness.
- Explore practical exercises and ideas to enhance your well-being.
- Gain more profound insights into the factors that contribute to happiness in life.