If you click on this link, thank you for contributing to us. We may earn a commission when you buy through our links. Learn more ›
Immerse in reading with the All-new Kindle Paperwhite and enjoy 3 free months of Kindle Unlimited. Discover the best sellers in Audible Books & Originals through Audible. $0.00 - Get 30 Days Free and $14.95/month after 30 days. .
“Rising Strong: How the Ability to Reset Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead” by Brené Brown is a wise choice. It delves into the power of resilience and how to bounce back from life’s challenges. This book can inspire you to approach setbacks with strength and courage, positively impacting various aspects of your life.
- Genre: Self-Help, Personal Development, Resilience
- Themes: Resilience, Vulnerability, Embracing Failure, Emotional Healing, Relationships
What is this book about?
“Rising Strong: How the Ability to Reset Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead” by Brené Brown is a compelling and insightful self-help book that explores the transformative power of resilience in our lives. This book falls within the personal development genre. It delves into emotional resilience, vulnerability, and bouncing back from failure and adversity.
At the book’s heart is the central theme of “rising strong” — the ability to reset and recover from setbacks, disappointments, and emotional wounds. Brené Brown argues that our capacity to rise strongly is essential for living a wholehearted life and cultivating meaningful relationships.
The book is structured around a three-part process known as the “Rising Strong Process,” which consists of reckoning with our emotions and stories, rumbling with the truth of our experiences, and revolutionizing how we engage with the world. Brown guides readers through this process, offering practical strategies and insights for navigating difficult emotional terrain.
One of the book’s key messages is embracing vulnerability as a pathway to resilience. Brown emphasizes that it’s okay to experience difficult emotions and setbacks; how we respond to them matters. She encourages readers to confront their stories and narratives about failure and disappointment, challenging the narratives that hold them back and learning to rewrite their endings.
Throughout “Rising Strong,” Brené Brown shares personal stories, research findings, and real-life examples that illustrate the principles of resilience and vulnerability. She explores how rising strong can transform our relationships, parenting, leadership, and overall sense of self.
The book also addresses the role of creativity and curiosity in the rising strong process. Brown highlights the importance of curiosity as a tool for self-discovery and seeking understanding and connection with others.
Ultimately, “Rising Strong” guides individuals who want to cultivate emotional resilience, deepen their relationships, and lead more authentic and wholehearted lives. It offers practical exercises, reflective questions, and actionable steps to help readers navigate the challenges and setbacks they encounter in various aspects of life.
Takeaways and tips
Here are some additional takeaways and tips from “Rising Strong”:
- It’s not our mistakes that define us but how we respond to them. When we make a mistake, we have a choice. We can either beat ourselves up and let it define us or learn from it and move on.
- Vulnerability is not weakness. It takes courage to be vulnerable and to admit our mistakes. But vulnerability is also essential for connection and intimacy.
- We are not alone. Everyone experiences setbacks and failures. It is important to remember that we are not alone in our struggles.
- We are stronger than we think we are. We have the resilience to overcome any challenge we face.
“Rising Strong” is a powerful and inspiring book that can teach us how to overcome our challenges and live more wholehearted lives. It is a must-read for anyone who has experienced failure, disappointment, or a setback.
Here are some specific examples of how to apply the principles of Rising Strong to different areas of your life:
- In your relationships: When you have a conflict with your partner or friend, try to acknowledge your emotions and take responsibility for your role in the conflict instead of shutting down or blaming the other person. Then, work together to find a solution.
- In your career: If you don’t get a job you want or you make a mistake at work, instead of dwelling on your disappointment or shame, try to learn from your experience and move on. Don’t be afraid to ask for feedback from others and to seek support from your mentors.
- In your personal life: If you experience a setback such as a breakup, a job loss, or a health problem, instead of letting it define you, try to use it as an opportunity to grow and learn. Take some time to reflect on what you want out of life and make a plan for moving forward.
“Rising Strong” is best for individuals seeking to develop their emotional resilience, confront difficult emotions, and transform how they engage with life’s challenges. It is ideal for those interested in personal development, self-discovery, and building more authentic and meaningful relationships. Whether you’re facing a personal setback, navigating a difficult period, or simply want to enhance your emotional well-being, Brené Brown’s book provides valuable insights and actionable strategies to help you rise strong and thrive in adversity. It is also a valuable resource for leaders, parents, and anyone looking to create a more compassionate and resilient approach to life and relationships.
Best-recommended books besides “Rising Strong”
If you’ve read “Rising Strong: How the Ability to Reset Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead” by Brené Brown and are interested in books that explore similar themes of vulnerability, resilience, personal growth, and emotional strength, here are some recommended alternatives:
“Option B” by Sheryl Sandberg and Adam Grant
“Option B” is a deeply personal and insightful book by Sheryl Sandberg, the COO of Facebook, and Adam Grant, a psychologist. It explores Sandberg’s journey of coping with the sudden loss of her husband and the concept of building resilience in the face of adversity. The book offers practical advice and real-life stories on how to find strength and joy after life’s setbacks.
Why we love it:
- Gain a deeper understanding of coping with loss and adversity.
- Learn practical strategies for building resilience and finding happiness.
- Benefit from the blend of personal experience and psychological expertise.
“Daring Greatly” by Brené Brown
Brené Brown’s book “Daring Greatly” delves into vulnerability and its potential to foster deeper connections, unleash creativity, and cultivate courage. Brown believes embracing vulnerability is crucial for fulfilling and fostering meaningful relationships. The book provides insights into the barriers to vulnerability and offers guidance on overcoming them.
Why we love it:
- Explore the transformative power of vulnerability in various aspects of life.
- Learn how to overcome shame and fear to embrace authenticity.
- Gain practical advice on building stronger and more genuine connections with others.
“The Gifts of Imperfection” by Brené Brown
“The Gifts of Imperfection” is another insightful book by Brené Brown. In this work, Brown explores embracing imperfections and wholeheartedly accepting oneself. She provides a guide to cultivating self-compassion, authenticity, and a sense of worthiness. The book encourages readers to let go of societal pressures and embrace their true selves.
Why we love it:
- Discover how to embrace imperfections and cultivate self-acceptance.
- Learn to live a more authentic and fulfilling life by letting go of societal expectations.
- Gain insights into the importance of self-compassion and vulnerability.
“Mindset” by Carol S. Dweck
In “Mindset,” psychologist Carol S. Dweck explores the concept of fixed and growth mindsets. She discusses how our beliefs about our abilities can profoundly impact our success and resilience. Dweck provides actionable strategies for cultivating a growth mindset to overcome challenges and achieve personal and professional goals.
Why we love it:
- Understand the power of your mindset in shaping your success.
- Develop a growth mindset to overcome challenges and seize opportunities.
- Gain practical advice for personal and professional development.
“Grit” by Angela Duckworth
In “Grit,” psychologist Angela Duckworth explores the role of passion and perseverance in achieving success. Drawing on research and personal stories, Duckworth argues that grit is key to long-term achievement. She provides insights into how individuals can cultivate grit to overcome challenges and reach their goals.
Why we love it:
- Discover the importance of perseverance and passion in achieving success.
- Explore the psychology behind long-term achievement.
- Learn practical strategies for developing grit and resilience.
“The Obstacle Is the Way” by Ryan Holiday
“The Obstacle Is the Way” draws inspiration from Stoicism and explores the idea that obstacles and challenges are opportunities for growth and transformation. Author Ryan Holiday shares stories of historical figures who turned adversity into an advantage and provides a framework for applying these principles in everyday life.
Why we love it:
- Learn how to reframe challenges and obstacles as opportunities for growth.
- Gain insights from historical examples of individuals who thrived in adversity.
- Discover practical strategies for turning trials into triumphs.
“Rising Strong as a Spiritual Practice” by Brené Brown
In “Rising Strong as a Spiritual Practice,” Brené Brown delves deeper into vulnerability, resilience, and spirituality. She explores how embracing vulnerability can be a spiritual practice that leads to greater meaning and connection. Brown provides practical exercises and insights for integrating these principles into your life.
Why we love it:
- Explore the intersection of vulnerability, resilience, and spirituality.
- Discover your inner self and uncover more profound meaning in life.
- Gain practical exercises for personal growth and spiritual development.